If you are committed to sustainable practices in your business, one challenge you might face is how to incorporate those values into your packaging. In fact, in recent years customers have begun to demand packaging that is right-sized, recyclable, and reusable, and manufacturers are taking notice. Today, finding ways to make your packaging more sustainable is not impossible, or even very difficult.
Here are five tips for sourcing sustainable packaging:
- Educate yourself on the real impact of your shipping product. One of the most common myths we hear is that paper-based products are always environmentally better than plastic-based products. The truth is that cardboard creates far more harmful CO2 when created and recycled and utilizes more resources to store and ship that a plastic-based poly mailer. Also, not every paper-based mailer is recyclable. Learn more here.
- Educate your customers on how to recycle your packaging. One of the biggest problems with recycling is that consumers are confused about how or where to recycle certain materials. Printing instructions for recycling directly on the package not only helps the customer properly dispose of the package, but it also reinforces your brand commitment to sustainability.
- Incorporate thoughtful features for package reuse. A resealable package can reduce packaging waste by allowing the customer to reuse the same package for a return. When the package arrives, you can make sure it is recycled properly.
- Support packaging manufacturers who share your values about sustainability. Do your homework to find out what your packaging manufacturer does to support sustainable practices. Do they use recycled content in packaging? Contribute to eco-conscious causes? Don’t stop at the products they create, also pay attention to plant practices such as ink and scrap disposal.
- Join How2Recycle, a label program that promotes simple, standardized labeling for recyclable products, so your customers understand exactly how to dispose of recyclable packaging.
These are just a few ways to make your packaging more sustainable. For more tips and ideas, visit https://www.pac.com/about-pac/sustainability/ or contact a PAC packaging specialist to discuss the most sustainable packaging options for your business.