When it comes to packaging, the phrase “think outside the box” should be taken literally. For many shipments, the traditional corrugated box is not the simplest or most cost-effective packaging method. Yet, many companies are still using bulky boxes to deliver their goods to customers.
A marvel of many uses, the corrugated box has been a shipping staple since it was first mass-produced over 100 years ago. While boxes still stand the test of time for some tasks, today’s modern shipping environment calls for a better solution – one that’s lighter weight, easier to pack and ship, and more environmentally responsible than the corrugated box. The ideal shipping solution for modern ecommerce is the shipping mailer.
Here are 5 reasons why companies should think out of the box and get their shipments into a mailer:
- Save on shipping costs! Shipping is a huge expense for ecommerce companies. Mailers cut DIM weights significantly because they are lighter-weight and smaller than boxes. When you calculate the cost savings over hundreds or thousands of shipments, mailers cut shipping costs by a large margin.
- Lower carbon footprint. At first glance corrugated boxes may seem more environmentally friendly than poly mailers, but the numbers tell a different story. Corrugated boxes use 19x more energy, produce 106x more CO2, use 152x more water, and produce 13x more solid waste than poly mailers. Learn more about which sustainable mailers are the most eco-friendly here.
- Reduce packing time and effort. Worker shortages have left warehouses understaffed. Companies are struggling to fulfill more orders with fewer workers. Poly mailers are much faster to handle and pack than corrugated boxes. The average worker can pack 30-50 boxes per hour, but in that same amount of time, they could pack 60-90 poly mailers. Efficiency increases further with the use of wicketted mailers – by 20%!
- Increase customer satisfaction. Your customers shouldn’t have to deal with bulky stacks of leftover cardboard, or purchase shipping tape to box an item for a return. The lightweight, simple nature of mailers makes them favorable. They are quick to open and, when equipped with dual peel-and-seal, they can be resealed and reused with ease.
- They are more recyclable than you think. People sometimes say they like corrugated boxes better than poly mailers because they are recyclable. But Poly mailers are also recyclable at thousands of drop-off sites across the country. In fact, Ecojacket is curbside recyclable, so customers can have the added convenience of recycling those mailers at home.
The truth is, even plastic mailers are more environmentally friendly than boxes. Not only that but now there is a padded mailer made from a similar biodegradable material as a box, except with the lightweight, versatile style of mailer. Ecojacket produces less waste than boxes, offers lower shipping costs, and is made from an eco-friendly material that’s recyclable in the curbside bin.
If you’re ready to get your products out of a box and into a mailer, PAC can help.